It wouldn’t be summer without a new list of the top 10 swimming beaches in America from Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, a.k.a. Dr. Beach. For 2014, the professor of sun, fun and beachfront living has chosen Duke Kahanamoku Beach in Hawaii as his number one pick. Don’t you wish you had his job?!
Duke Kahanamoku Beach is located at the far west end of Waikiki Beach on the Hawaiian island of Oahu where the crowds are light. With some of the widest stretches of sand and protection from large waves by a coral reef just offshore, this beach is perfect for families with children.
What does it take for a beach to make Dr. Beach’s annual list? Dr. Beach has a list of 50 criteria that he uses to make his selections, which include the number of days of sunshine, daily temperature, water temperature, size of waves, width of the beach, safety records, beach amenities, amount of noise, view or vista and more.
Dr. Beach’s entire list for 2014 includes:
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach – Oahu, Hawaii
- Barefoot Beach Preserve County Park – Bonita Springs, Fla.
- St. George Island State Park, Eastpoint, Fla.
- Waimanalo Bay State Park – Oahu, Hawaii
- Hamoa Beach – Maui, Hawaii
- Cape Hatteras – Outer Banks, N.C.
- Cape Florida State Park – Key Biscayne, Fla.
- Coast Guard Beach – Cape Cod, Mass.
- Beachwalker Park – Kiawah Island, S.C.
- Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park – Naples, Fla.
Do you have a favorite beach? Tell us about it here in the comments section or on Facebook or Twitter. If you’re looking for inspiration for your coastal style home and beachfront lifestyle, remember to follow Cottage & Bungalow on Pinterest.