Earlier this week, Connecticut based interior designer Trudy Dujardin eloquently wrote about her love of her summer home on Nantucket Island on the New England Home Blog. Her deep passion for her home and the island was inspiring. It made us wish we could hop the ferry and head right over.
We were not surprised to read that Trudy’s time on Nantucket dramatically influences her work as a designer. The stunning Nantucket light, coastal color palettes and the simplicity of island life all sneak into her work through-out the year. We too are similarly influenced when we choose items for Cottage & Bungalow.
Here are Trudy’s tips for creating a perfect summer home:
- Blues are serene because they evoke the sea and the sky, but I wouldn’t use an intense marine blue on a wall. I’d reserve it for accents such as pillows, china or curtains.
- Carry your main colors throughout the house. Even in a rose room, I would include touches of blue to pull things together and help lead you from room to room.
- I love juxtaposing rich color with white: in a white room, I might use ivory woodwork.
- Go with soft, muted shades in bedrooms and saturated colors in living areas.
- Add color with flowers. Sunflowers or pink roses are wonderful in a blue and white room.
- Don’t attempt too much in one room; your eye needs a place to rest.
- Remember that a healthy home is the ultimate luxury. See my post on spring cleaning for ideas on cleaning without harmful chemicals.
Love fresh beach house style? We do! Our carefully selected furnishing and home accessories are perfect for coastal homes.